Saturday, December 26, 2015

Remembering Christmases Past

Did you ever wonder if there is something like a born-again Roman Catholic? Let me be clear, I don't mean a Catholic who becomes an evangelical Protestant. I refer to a Catholic who has a born-again experience within the bosom of the Church.

In honor of Christmas, the always readable Peggy Noonan recounts for The Wall Street Journal having such an experience as a young girl (scroll down). It's at the end of a column about the modest Christmases of our youth.

I remember the sort of Christmases Peggy describes. One year I got a new, stocked shoeshine box and was happy to have it as - believe it or not - highly shined shoes were the fashion for high school fellows at the time. Hard to believe now, isn't it? 

What I like most about Christmas is the music and decorations, plus traveling to get together with family and friends. The food is fine, too.