Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Rove on the McCain Backstory

Karl Rove, aka "the architect" of W's presidential victories, writes about the private John McCain in The Wall Street Journal. Rove shares inspiring stories told by McCain's fellow POWs and others, stories that McCain hasn't revealed.

Rove argues McCain needs to talk about these things. I think Rove is wrong; the stories are much more powerful coming from people who knew him "in the day," as they say.

Rove's article reminds me of what David Brooks said about McCain, and I paraphrase here. Brooks said while he and McCain may often disagree about policy matters, nobody would convince him that McCain was other than an outstanding person.

I guess I am coming to agree with Brooks, about both points. I have serious trouble with some of McCain's populist rants and his wrong-headed stand on immigration. But on the issue of underlying character, he seems to have the right stuff.