Monday, October 13, 2008

Two Peoples Separated by a Common Language

Every time I think about how all the talk about bailing out Fannie and Freddie must be playing in the U.K. and Australia I snicker. Given the general state of current economic news (i.e., mostly bad), laughs are not that common and are consequently highly valued.

The reason for this is that "fanny" in the U.K. is slang for vagina. Don't take my word for it, Google it for yourself. I was reminded of this linguistic quirk by some Brits I met on a recent cruise. I wonder if news readers on the BBC can do stories about Fannie and Freddie with a straight face?

Come to think of it, I wonder what the Brits and the Oz think of that famous old U.S. cookbook, generally known by the name of its author: Fannie Farmer? No plowing jokes, please.