Saturday, June 26, 2010

Oh, Really?

This article in the Asia Times talks about the recent development of a "gun culture" in China. It also speaks of strict gun control laws and says:
China has imposed a blanket ban on gun ownership, including replicas. Since 1966, the government has prohibited the private manufacture, sale, transport, possession and import or export of bullets and guns.
I have to admit I am confused. Traveling in China in 1986, near Guilin I saw a civilian casually walking along a rice paddy dike openly carrying a long gun, a rifle or shotgun. I found this sighting interesting but did not ask our government guide about it.

Why didn't I ask? Living in Asia that year we learned that uncomfortable questions normally elicited responses simulating a sudden lack of English comprehension. The other DrC and I privately referred to this as "the Asian shuffle."