Monday, August 9, 2010

Different Views

We had house guests over the weekend, a couple who were born in Europe, in different countries but met here many years ago. The husband and I were talking about the general state of affairs in the U.S., his home for the last 50 or so years.

We saw the problems very similarly, but saw the solutions very differently. His preferred solutions tend to be statist, mine market-driven. I found this surprising considering he was, before retirement, a successful entrepreneur here in the States.

For decades he vied for business and met a payroll. Nevertheless he said to me "I never minded paying taxes." He decried the effects of Prop. 13 on California, his home and my former home.

I said CA spent too much; he said CA needed to spend more even though the increased taxes will come out of his pocket. I said high taxes were driving employers out of CA, he said they wouldn't leave because of CA's unique qualities. I believe the data prove him wrong, they are already leaving.

I finally concluded we simply had two different world views; his is European and mine is American. Europeans routinely tolerate taxation levels and governmental involvement in their lives that would drive Americans crazy. Two major events in our nation's early history were a tax revolt called the Boston Tea Party and another called the Whiskey Rebellion.
Vive la difference.