Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Nostalgia

Business Insider reports rating firm Moody's says it's time to list Sears and KMart on the death watch. In truth, they've appeared headed there for several years.

I find it sad. Sears was as much a part of my growing-up as Ma Bell and GM, before they split up Ma Bell and turned General Motors into Government Motors. Both my houses have Sears appliances, my tool box is full of Craftsman tools, and normally any replacement batteries I buy are DieHards.

At this stage in my life, believe it or not a KMart is my closest 'department' store - the one in Jackson being the only such store in western Wyoming. Having essentially no competition, it does okay. I once saw Harrison Ford buy something there. If KMart goes under, somebody will buy and operate that store.

To find a real department store, or for that matter a Walmart or Home Depot, we go to Idaho Falls. It is a longish drive, one we only undertake a few times per summer.

Toward the twilight end of a long life, I look back on so many defunct brand names unknown to today's young people: Montgomery Ward, Longs, Mervyns, Gottschalks, DeSoto, Pan-Am, Rambler, Flying A, Par-T-Pak, Mercury and many more.