Saturday, June 25, 2016

A Transnational Identity

Like everyone in the punditocracy, Bloomberg View's Megan McArdle is writing about Brexit. Her particular topic here is the reaction of the press and other members of the elite to Brexit.
I can certainly understand why my British friends who supported Remain are upset, and why people in other countries who are actually going to experience long-term effects from this decision are unhappy—if I were a Pole, I’d be worried as heck. But I don’t take it personally.

A lot of my professional colleagues seemed to, and the dominant tone framed this as a blow against the enlightened “us” and the beautiful world we are building, struck by a plague of morlocks who had crawled out of their hellish subterranean world to attack our impending utopia. 
My mental image is the Transylvanian villagers coming for Dr. Frankenstein, with pitchforks and torches. Hint: they'll swarm in early November. McArdle describes out-of-touch professional elites as "transnationals."
Trying to build the state without the nation has led to the mess that is the current EU. And to Thursday's election results. Elites missed this because they're the exception -- the one group that has a transnational identity.