Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Double Standards

Roseanne Barr tweeted some ugly stuff and got fired by ABC. Whether or not she understood the consequences of her act, she did something too gross to tolerate and in so doing asked to be fired and was. I do not write to defend Barr or her tweet.

Rather, I write to ask whether if the person cruelly caricatured had been a Republican, a Trump ally, would the malefactor's top-rated TV show be cancelled, would they be fired? Or would their apology be accepted with a stern warning to shape up?

I suspect the outcome would have been different. I think people have said equally ugly things about the president on air and continue to report to the studio five nights a week to host their talk shows.

My complaint is not that Barr was fired, she deserved it. My complaint is that others who have said equally repulsive things about Republican men and women skate ... they deserve to be fired and are not.

As the folks who blog at Instapundit write: "If progressives didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all." Unfair treatment is a conservative's lot, bitterness the frequent result.