Sunday, April 26, 2015

A Graham Candidacy?

George Will, arguably dean of conservative columnists, writes for National Review about a possible presidential campaign by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Like the other present and potential contenders, I see Graham as a mixed bag.

His view of foreign policy is closer to mine than those of several possible candidates. I disagree with him when he alleges that Arabs would like "the American values set." I'm not convinced our values are compatible with their culture. On the other hand, his notion of putting radical Islam in a box and burying it six feet down works for me.

I am not comfortable with Graham's views on immigration, as reported by Will. Yes, we need people since we aren't reproducing our numbers. On the other hand, I prefer the Australian model which seeks high value immigrants who have English, and bring wealth, skills and education.

I will grant one of Will's assertions: Graham is fun to watch. Since we often watch our President, having one who is entertaining would be nice. Still, if that were our criterion, Newt Gingrich would have been elected four years ago.