Friday, May 11, 2018

In Praise of Pickups

I can’t resist calling your attention to a RealClearPolitics column by a Blue Dog Democrat from Mississippi warning his party not to take stands that make them appear anti-pickup truck.
To people not from rural parts of the country who are reading this, let me assure you that the truck is a very important part of our lives. I have a truck, most of my friends and neighbors have trucks, and they are integral to a culture that cherishes a lifestyle more closely tied to the land and sea. In many ways, the love of trucks is similar to the love of firearms in rural America. Trucks and guns are both deeply ingrained in my community.
Poor guy, being a rural Democrat has got to be as tough these days as being a big city conservative. Neither is in any way enviable. He concludes, plaintively:
Progressives must not forget that the top-selling vehicle in America is the Ford F-150. I know that neither I nor anyone else I know wants to read about Democrats’ wanting to make their next truck more expensive.
The author’s got a snowball-in-hell’s chance of convincing Democrats to lighten up on things important to his neighbors, those “bitter clingers to guns, god” and pickup trucks who candidate Obama famously denigrated.

Full disclosure: I love my Ford F-350 Super Duty Diesel. I’ve owned 5 trucks over the past 35 years, a Chevy, a Dodge, and 3 Fords, each a winner. It is the essentially American vehicle.