Thursday, March 18, 2010

Movie Review

Last evening the memsahib and I watched Cold Mountain starring Jude Law, Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger. There are also excellent cameos by Donald Sutherland and Emily Deschanel. We had owned the DVD since it first came out but had never opened it.

Although long, it is a good film. The battle scenes are graphic: both bloody and muddy. The folk music is nice, too. Most of the film takes place outdoors, which made filming difficult.

Afterward, the other DrC asked me why I hadn't wanted to see it for several years. I replied, "because I believed it to be sad." She said "So...?" and I replied "I don't like sad films." It is almost a truism that films about the U.S. Civil War will be sad.

Verdict: Yes, it is a sad film, but very well done and worth your time.