Thursday, March 11, 2010

Musings on Health Care

I found myself in an emergency room Saturday, after taking a fall. The ER doctor had several Xrays taken of joints that I could move without pain. His rationale: covering his backside against some possible future lawsuit. My guess: it added hundreds of dollars to the bill.

If we wish to reduce the cost of health care, we need to create a disincentive for ambulance-chasing attorneys. My suggestions are four: first, have all injury liability lawsuits tried before a judge, not a jury; second, have whoever loses the lawsuit be responsible for both parties' trial costs, third, forbid insurance companies to settle cases without establishing culpability, and fourth, allow suits for actual damages only, do away with punitive damages and create other mechanisms for punishing malpractice.