Saturday, September 18, 2021

The 50-50 Problem

We seem to be in a place in our nation’s history where, for the at least the last 3-4 presidents, half the country thinks everything POTUS does is caca de toro - a steaming pile of dung. I’ve felt that way about Obama and Biden, I know my Democrat acquaintances felt that way about Bush most of the time and Trump all the time. If I’m honest, I sorta felt that way about Bush’s second term myself.

Most of us, I suspect, choose to try to forget about the “idiot in chief” and get on with our lives, when the ‘wrong’ guy is the incumbent. That is the emotionally healthy response to our ridiculous-but-unavoidable experience. 

I wish I knew of a system that would produce better results - competent presidents most people respect. I know of no better system and don’t expect to discover one in a 50-50 nation. 

We will muddle along with the present mess, until it eventually fails utterly. It is my hope that point will not be reached in my lifetime, and since I’m old I may get my wish. 

However, it feels like Joe Biden is on track to make the failure happen sooner rather than later. Perhaps after the midterm elections his worst instincts will be stymied? What irony it is to happily anticipate gridlock as the lesser of two evils.