Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Choosing Practicality

The College Fix reports results of a study by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, looking at the extent to which new college grads from the class of 2020 have found appropriate post-graduation employment. Roughly half have not. 

Long-time readers know I’ve harped on “choice of major” as a key factor in getting a job after graduation. The article concludes with this paragraph.

The report also notes that graduates in engineering, engineering technology, health sciences, business, and computer science fared best in securing a full-time job within six months of graduation, which is consistent with previous years.

Yep, STEM, computers and business are solid, and health care is particularly timely in a plague year. It was a big part of what I liked about being a business prof. My students got jobs, made a living, and paid the taxes that paid my salary, I was part of a “virtuous circle.” Hat tip to Instapundit for the link.