Friday, December 30, 2022

Hippies Growing Old

Yesterday the DrsC took a drive down the PCH (aka US 101) to Ventura, to do some shopping and to enjoy the coastal scenery. Growing up nearby, I spent a fair amount of time in Ventura as a young man. 

My while-in-college summer job was there, and it was mostly where we’d go to catch a film or a meal. In recent decades I’ve not much frequented the town, maybe a brief visit 1-2 times a year. 

It has changed of course - grown and the population mix is new. What I noticed yesterday while shopping in the early afternoon was a demographic I haven’t much associated with Ventura. Namely superannuated hippies. 

There were more old counterculture types than I’d ever seen there. Picture a lot of long, stringy gray hair on both genders, and matching beards on the guys. 

One slender old dear wore a floor length black gown with a spread eagle embroidered across the shoulders, showing rather too much flaccid cleavage. Think “Elvira, Mistress of the Dark” in her late 70s, with hair gone gray and no makeup. She and her guy, both all in black, looked like “Goths out to pasture.”

I saw a whole bunch of voters on which Gavin Newsom can certainly count, if they aren’t too high to focus. Parts of CA begin to resemble a foreign country; yesterday in Ventura brought home that reality.

Later … as if to prove my point, check out this piece of CA crazy.

Later still … this from The Babylon Bee, which advice is both snarky and largely accurate.