Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Our View of Ukraine

I haven’t written recently about our involvement supporting Ukraine against Russian invasion. I know such support has become controversial among Republicans, of whom I consider myself one.

Just to be clear, I believe what Speaker Johnson did recently to move funds to support Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan was the right thing to do. That Democrats were needed to get it passed is okay with me, we disagree about much but why not cooperate on those things about which we agree?

I fully understand the irritation many in the GOP feel about the Biden administration’s failure to secure our southern border. I feel it too. 

But I understand the Biden losers have decided to make an open border the hill they will die on, and sacrificing an ally - Ukraine - which is fully occupying the Russian military in their eastern provinces won’t change that. A win in November is how we change our border policy.

“Fighting to the last Ukrainian” is an ugly business. As long as the Ukrainians wish to do so, subsidizing that effort is money well spent. If we were supporting a NATO ally our GIs would be there dying alongside theirs. And if Ukraine falls, I am convinced one of our allies will be Putin’s next target.