Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Likability Factor

In the 1600s, a student at Christ Church, Oxford, named Tom Brown is famous for his couplet in extemporaneous translation from the Latin:

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell,
The reason why I cannot tell;
But this I know, and know full well,
I do not love thee, Dr. Fell.

This is a classical expression of the experience we've all had of disliking someone without being able to say just why. I share this with you by way of introducing an article concerning the high 'negatives' of Hillary Clinton. The polling data suggests a lot of folks truthfully could recite the following couplet:

I do not love thee, Mistress Hil,
The reason why I cannot tell;
But this I know, and know full well,
I do not love thee, Mistress Hil.

Of course others could and would tell you at great length the reasons why they dislike the former First Lady. I suspect many Republicans secretly hope she is nominated. The danger in that is that world circumstances might result in her election by a narrow margin.

Can the country really stomach another four years with a President so many of us cannot stand? Is it possible that we are headed for a period where widely hated Presidents are the norm? You could reasonably argue that we've been in that situation for the past 12 or more years. The mind fairly boggles....