Saturday, January 9, 2021

Trump Fatigue

 Last October 1, I wrote the following:

Reality TV star Trump somehow makes every story about himself. I suspect if he loses his bid for reelection, we will write that the voters grew tired of him.

More so than before, to me those words seem prophetic. Donald Trump won substantially more votes than he did in 2016, his opponent appears to have won even more than Trump. I am inclined to blame “Trump fatigue” for the larger-than-expected vote for boring Joe Biden. 

In show biz parlance the phenomenon is called “overexposure.” It appears too many voters experienced it, while another not-quite-as-large group did not. 

As I noted then, the equally egotistical Obama was easier to ignore. I believe this was because media stories about him were positive and upbeat. Positive isn’t newsworthy in our news cycle; conflict, scandal and tragedy rate headlines. Of these, Trump had more than his share.