Tuesday, August 3, 2021

A Could-Be Messiah

Let me direct your attention to a Mother Jones article about Ammon Bundy, who has led “resist government tyranny” rallies and protests across the mountain West - OR, AZ, NV, and ID. Bundy is now running for governor in Idaho, likely without success.

It is possible you’ll find the word portrait of Bundy hard to swallow, to believe. His is an interesting mixture of idealism, individualism, quirky patriotism, and a very personal religion. If he manages to be martyred during his crusade, don’t be surprised if a cult arises around his memory.

I live in Bundy’s region, my part of WY is next door to ID and my winter place is in NV. I know people like Bundy who actively spend time considering what God wants of them. They can be amazingly stiff-backed when the inner voice says they’ve decoded God’s will, and quite genial otherwise. That isn’t who I am, but I sort of understand and often like them. They can be good hearted neighbors.