Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Billy Clyde Redux

You almost never see a sports posting on COTTonLINE, here is a semi-exception. My eye caught this comment on Drudge: "One team I interviewed with asked me about being a white running back.” So I went here and found the article on Yahoo Sports.

This put me in mind of a novel called Semi-Tough by sportswriter Dan Jenkins (available here on Amazon). It concerns the picaresque adventures of Texan Billy Clyde Puckett, the self-described "only white running back in the NFL."

For some of us, at a certain point in our lives, this was the funniest book we'd ever read. I hope Toby Gerhart, the subject of the article, has as much fun and as much success as ol' Billy Clyde.

The book Semi-Tough isn't polite or decent, but if you can handle raunchy humor, and haven't read it, you might give it a try. Jenkins wrote other novels and, in my opinion, none are nearly as enjoyable.

I guess this really isn't a sports posting, but a book review of sorts. So be it.