Friday, October 1, 2021

How Two Beats 48

About the intraparty struggle outlined in the previous post, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) said the following:
Two senators cannot be allowed to defeat what 48 senators and 210 House members want. 

Of course, when 50 Republicans plan to vote with those two senators, 48 senators cannot defeat them, and that is what is causing the holdup. One supposes the Democratic Party could revoke the membership of the two, who might become Independents or even Republicans. 

I imagine Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema quoting Ronald Reagan, who famously said this of changing parties.

I didn't leave the Democratic party, the Democratic Party left me.

I like to think, had he lived long enough, my father - a lifelong Southern Democrat - would have agreed with Reagan.