Wednesday, October 6, 2021

VDH: Why He Left NR

RealClearPolitics has the text of a Tucker Carlson interview with the uber-prolific Victor Davis Hanson about why he left the National Review, after writing for them for 20 years. Some key VDH quotes about the folk at NR:

A lot of them felt it was their duty as Republican establishmentarians to tell the world they didn't approve of Donald Trump's tweets or his crudity. My message was always: But, it's good for the middle class.

I think there's an image that a lot of Republicans have, both in politics and they sort of represent a sober and judicious way of looking at the world, and we are the adults in the room. And it's more about a culture than it is an ideology.

I thought they would be champions of the middle class, but I don't think they were. I don't think they wanted to be.

VDH's heart is in the right place. COTTonLINE shares his (and Trump's) pro-middle class values. 

Hanson's line "more about a culture than it is an ideology" really describes never-Trumpers like George Will, Steve Hayes and Bill Kristol. It's my hope they continue to molder in obscurity.