Thursday, May 8, 2008

Out-on-a-Limb Predictions

You know how you "get a feeling" about something? Probably it is my subconscious trying to communicate with my conscious mind, or whatever. Anyway, I've got a feeling about this presidential election we've all been obsessing about for lo, these many months.

Barring health catastrophes or revelations of hidden misdeeds, I think the election will go as follows:

Obama beats Clinton (a gimme, I know) and then loses to McCain in November.

Maybe it is wishful thinking, but that is the way I predict it will go. I'm thinking we'll see the reemergence of the Reagan Democrats: blue-collar folks voting Republican.

My guess is that McCain won't have coattails. The conventional wisdom is that the House and Senate races will favor the Democrats, and I suspect the conventional wisdom is correct. What could change the legislative outlook? Something none of us wants: a serious terrorist attack on the U.S. or a close ally.

If I'm right, you read it here. If I'm wrong, well ...it was written after 1 a.m. so maybe I was dreaming.