Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Reacting to DeSantis

I've been thinking about DeSantis' position on U.S. involvement with Ukraine. As noted, I agree with much and disagree with some. I decided to share those thoughts with you. 

Below you'll find my brief version of what DeSantis wrote in italics, followed by my view in plain text. DeSantis posted six paragraphs, so I've grouped the things below in six clusters

DeSantis lists four "vital national interests." I have no quarrel with these.
DeSantis doesn't support "further entanglement" in what he characterizes as a "border dispute." I support continued involvement at the present level, it is unclear if DeSantis does - “further” could mean either “enhanced” or “future.” I disagree that it is a "border dispute."
DeSantis takes issue with Biden's "blank check" and promise of aid "as long as it takes." I view these statements as straw men, bargaining positions and not statements of our final action.

DeSantis writes peace should be our objective. Of course, but not at the cost of Ukraine losing big chunks of territory. Remembering Czechoslovakia and Neville Chamberlain.
DeSantis argues that we should not provide troops or long range weapons. I agree about troops, less clear about long range weapons.
DeSantis sees risk of nuclear war. No kidding, but since we are unlikely to start it, and Putin does as he chooses, that's up to him. We have no idea where his actual red line is. Nuclear war is something people threaten, rarely do. It is an armageddon/suicide scenario. 

DeSantis writes regime change is bad, that Putin's successor could be worse. I agree, historically Russians make bad leadership choices, no reason to expect change. It shouldn't be our policy.

DeSantis writes we've driven Russia into China's arms. Nonsense, the apparent friendship among Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea is just "the enemy of my enemy is my (temporary) friend" played out on the world stage.

DeSantis writes Americans deserve to know how their aid to Ukraine is being used.  I agree..

DeSantis writes helping Ukraine is not more important than controlling our border. I agree, it's unfortunate Joe Biden doesn't.
DeSantis writes that we need to replace our weapons and ammo being sent to Ukraine ASAP. I couldn't agree more.