Friday, September 1, 2023

You Loot, We Shoot

The sage of Aspen, CO, Glenn Beaton, writes today about FL Gov. Ron DeSantis warning post-hurricane looters that Florida passed the first Stand Your Ground law in 2005 and looters stand a good chance of getting shot. Beaton opines:

Governor Ron DeSantis is a very good governor. He may or may not out-debate the California pretty boy governor if that debate actually happens, but he sure out-governs him. The guy can run a big state, which historically suggests he could run a big country. 

All of which brings me to a realization which, as is my custom, I share with you. First of all, I agree that DeSantis is a good administrator, he tends to get done what he sets out to do. His track record on two recent hurricanes makes that point clearly. 

My second insight is that my career as a business school prof teaching management - my appreciation of good, effective management - is why I've been drawn to the DeSantis candidacy. For most of his term, Trump was a good president but getting the sullen, resistant bureaucracy to do his bidding wasn't a Trump strength. And that is exactly what DeSantis does well.

One could wish DeSantis were a better pitchman, had a bit more of the huckster about him. Those are skills Trump has in super abundance. But my career causes me to prefer the good administrator, and that appears to be Ron Desantis.