President Trump has 28 month left in office. I begin to wonder if he's decided to tough out the blockade of Iran's ports for that period, meaning Iran can export no oil, earn no foreign exchange, import no manufactured goods.
Conditions in Iran can get seriously grim if the blockade stays in place that long. Unknown is how much privation the nation's citizens will tolerate, while faced with a state willing to execute many of them.
Doing so means oil prices stay high and may well cost him control of Congress. That will involve him in another impeachment theater in the House. I write "theater" because it is unlikely the Senate would vote to convict, meaning Trump racks up another failed impeachment, his third if I remember correctly.
We normally think being a lame duck weakens a president, but in this case it may give him strength. He can't run again and so has the option of ignoring popularity polls. He may be focused on his legacy.
We live in interesting times.