Friday, August 7, 2026

Realignment, Revisited

Ten days ago I wrote that what is happening to the Democrat Party now - with Democratic Socialists - is what happened to the Republican Party a few years ago - with MAGA. I privately wondered then if or when the commentariat would catch up.

Turns out it was "when," not "if," and I'll admit to being pleased. A Daily Caller column is entitled "'DSA Is Our MAGA': The Democratic Establishment Faces a Reckoning." 

The column makes some of the same points I made about young Democrat voters being bummed with the Party's establishment figures. Among them, the downwardly mobile, "overcredentialed, underemployed college grads who are in debt up to their eyebrows, can't find suitable career employment, or afford to buy homes."

MAGA succeeded in taking over the GOP; it isn't yet clear that DSA will do the same to Democrats. They definitely have a shot at doing so. 

A lot will be revealed by the results this coming November. If many DSA-flavored nominees succeed in winning, that's one thing. If they do only so-so, the movement may flounder like the Tea Party, or may spawn a successor that is even more radical, which you could argue the Tea Party did with MAGA.

Later:  A really good situation summary from Jesse Arm, writing at City Journal about Democrats.

The party is shifting from the politics of the black church to the politics of the campus encampment.

As a Republican I view both as problematic, in quite different ways.