Monday, August 10, 2026

B-School Exceptionalism

An interesting quote from an article looking at stereotypes about various majors on higher ed campuses. I like this one as I was a business prof.

The professors in the business school had next to nothing to do with the rest of the university. They had the nicest cars, the most up-to-date building, and the lowest level of union membership.

To what extent was that descriptive of the campus where I spent 28 of my 34 years in academia? We certainly had little to do with the rest of the university, and a quite low level of union membership. 

Our building was no better or worse than the rest of the campus. I shared an office for the first 6 years, and had a private office thereafter. 

About cars I have no overall idea, an accounting prof drove an elegant pre war Mercedes convertible coupe. At various times I drove a VW beetle, a VW Rabbit, a Thunderbird, a Buick, and a Ford Probe. Overlapping these, also a Chevy, a Dodge, and multiple Ford diesel pickups, used to pull RVs - something very few profs did.