Sunday, April 24, 2022

Whither NATO?

Back in mid-March I wrote that the fall of Kyiv, if it happened, would be the turning point in Ukraine. Now it looks as though perhaps that won’t happen anytime soon, maybe never.

I wonder when I’ll read someone writing that if the vaunted Russian army can’t defeat Ukraine, does Europe even need NATO? I’ve seen no one as yet raising that question, but at some point it will be asked. I hope when that happens someone makes the point that Ukraine only fought Russia to a standstill because NATO was there to backstop them.

Europe’s big countries - the U.K., Germany, France, Spain, maybe Italy - may conclude they don’t need NATO to protect them from Russia. I’m fairly sure most smaller countries, especially those which spent decades within the Soviet orbit either as SSRs or Warsaw Pact members, will disagree energetically.