Sunday, August 14, 2022

The Regime

Writing at American Greatness, Roger Kimball muses about the Mar-A-Lago raid and how it has boosted Trump’s chances of reelection. He first quotes at some length from the New York Times’ David Brooks:

There is an interlocking network of highly educated Americans who make up what the Trumpians have come to call the Regime: Washington power players, liberal media, big foundations, elite universities, woke corporations. These people are corrupt, condescending and immoral and are looking out only for themselves. They are out to get Trump because Trump is the person who stands up to them. They are not only out to get Trump; they are out to get you.

Of course Brooks doesn’t accept that narrative but Kimball, who does, comments sarcastically:

I know that story. I tell it often myself. And I appreciate its formulation by David Brooks. I wouldn’t change a syllable.

Brooks does a fair job of describing the enemy as perceived by Trump supporters. As someone who lived among and labored for a branch of the Regime - I know what Brooks calls the “Trumpian” view has some considerable accuracy.