Saturday, February 11, 2023

A List of Shame

This morning I was browsing RealClearPolicy and came across a Reason article reporting free speech advocacy group FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression) list of top ten most censorship-prone colleges to avoid. Sadly, the University of Oregon where many years ago I earned my doctorate, made the list of shame.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but I’m not. Oregon west of the Cascades - mostly the coast and the Willamette Valley - has been a leftist swamp since before I got there. In the late 1960s people would visit Eugene from the Berkeley and Davis UC campuses to score drugs.

In the idiom of the day, Oregon wasn’t my “scene.” I kept my head down, spent summers in CA, got my degree and “got out of Dodge.” The other DrC would tell you I have been a reluctant visitor to OR in the half century since.