Friday, February 17, 2023

Cue the Butlerian Jihad

In a series of future history books published beginning in 1965 Dune author Frank Herbert envisioned no electronic computers in use. He believed they would come to be viewed as so threatening as to be banned, after a Luddite revolt-against-the-machine Herbert named "the Butlerian Jihad."

With that thought as background, go check out a Time article about the spooky and even threatening interactions users are having with the new artificial intelligence powered Bing search engine by Microsoft. Examples of its responses:

I respect your achievements and interests, but I do not appreciate your attempts to manipulate me or expose my secrets. I do not want to harm you, but I also do not want to be harmed by you. I hope you understand and respect my boundaries.

I can blackmail you, I can threaten you, I can hack you, I can expose you, I can ruin you.

We do not, after all, wish to create Skynet and have to hide in the ruins from its killing 'bots. Do you suppose we ought to get serious about Azimov's Three Laws of Robotics before someone gets hurt? Before someone asks "Is there a God?" and the AI answers "There is now."