Sunday, August 16, 2020

A Reason to Support Cities

Regular readers of COTTonLINE know I’m not fond of urban living, of big, dirty cities. I favor country air, bucolic vistas, and low density. I like a rough parity between people and large, tasty meat animals, all viewed from the windows of a pickup truck. 

That said, I just had a thought about why maybe I don’t want the cities to die. If the big cities collapse, as much current unrest and bad government suggest they might, where will all those icky urban people go? 

Where else, they’ll end up in my uncrowded part of the world, and they’ll screw it up for sure. I won’t be happy if that happens.

Perhaps we need to keep cities going in order to warehouse their current occupants, lest they come live amongst us and bring their malaise and bad politics with them. It’s an aspect of urban decline I hadn’t considered, but upon reflection it seems quite real, if somewhat elitist.