Sunday, August 23, 2020

Bring On the Vaccine

Long time readers know I'm not a young, or even a middle-aged person. I've been retired, except for teaching an online class each term, for 16 years. And I last taught that online class 9 years ago. 

So I am solidly in the group most at risk for Covid-19. I'm what I used to call "elderly" until I got here and discovered I was neither senile nor shot-down.

Reading an article about the impressive progress being made on Covid-19 vaccines, I reached a decision. When a vaccine is approved and available, after they get all the health care workers and first responders inoculated, us oldsters will be next. I'm going to go for it.

I hope they get several competing Covid-19 vaccines approved and available. If it's safe I'll probably get somewhere between "more than one" and all of them. The more the merrier unless doing so is medically contraindicated. 

Why? I want to get back to the darn full life I was leading before the virus hit. Time's a-wasting, time us seniors don't have an unlimited quantity of remaining.

There is a Mississippi River cruise we were scheduled to take this fall, which was cancelled. A cruise that completely circles South America, visiting along the way, sounds good too. I'd like to feel free to fly again, without fear of catching my death. And restaurants, we were patrons 2-3 times a week, but not now.  I want my life back!