Sunday, May 8, 2022

Happy Mothers' Day

I wish a happy day to all the moms out there, and fond memories for all those whose mom has passed. My own mom was a truly remarkable woman, smart and relatively fearless.

She and a girlfriend drove a newish Model A Ford coupe roundtrip cross-country from OK to VA one summer probably in the late 1920s or early 1930s. Some of the roads weren't paved and they often camped on school grounds (school not in session) so they could use the outhouse. What an adventure.

She married a man 19 years her senior and I am their son. She played the stock market successfully, canned dozens of quarts of apricots and pints of jams and preserves each summer, painted landscapes, sewed, crocheted and knew shorthand. And she put up with dad and me, which in retrospect must not have always been easy.

She lived into her early 90s and has been gone for 25 years. In addition to loving her, I admired her.