Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Spengler Misfires

On numerous occasions I've referred approvingly to the written opinions of David P. Goldman, who also writes as "Spengler." It is only fair to write today to indicate my disagreement with his view of Ukraine and the Russian incursion there.

My sense is that Goldman began thinking about Ukraine nearly 10 years ago and his opinions haven't changed as the facts on the ground have changed. His view of current Ukraine doesn't seem to account for the current situation as has been reported. Perhaps he feels the need to defend his past positions.

I have read elsewhere the Russian invasion of the Donbas region has, if reports are to be believed, managed to turn Russian-speaking Ukrainians into anti-Russian Ukraine patriots. If the various parts of Ukraine were not culturally united prior to the invasion, it appears they are united now when confronted by a famously brutal external enemy bombing and shelling their homes. 

Being attacked can pull a divided people together. Americans experienced this process during two World Wars.

If conditions were as Goldman believes, the Ukraine military should be faced with very substantial desertions. I have read no reports of any such in Ukraine, but plenty of it in Russia - search "Russians refuse orders" for many examples. 

So long as the people of Ukraine want to fight to reclaim their independence, I believe as the injured party they deserve our support.

Caveat: I have no inside information about Ukraine. My sources are all public and widely disseminated. And I have no magic wand to separate reported fact from pro-Ukraine propaganda.