Wednesday, June 1, 2022

About Those 12 Propositions

I'm thinking about the 12 "propositions" in the prior post, and wondering with which I mostly agree and which I question more than a little. I don't quibble much with the first six, although I do sense somewhat a slowdown in technology breakthroughs (#3) which may however be temporary.

I'm not convinced either way about #7. There is some evidence that China will burn out in the same way, and for many of the same reasons, that Japan did. Meaning, it won't collapse but its meteoric growth will stop and it will settle into the national equivalent of a "comfortable middle age." For Asia to become dominant, would require India to develop more unity and less division than they've managed to date. Ditto for Indonesia and the Philippines. So far, I don't see the evidence.

Except for their raw materials, I'm not convinced that - long-term - either side much wants to buy the fickle friendship of third world satraps and emirs (#8). Russia can't afford it, and if China loses its oomph, as predicted above, it won't be so anxious to throw money around.

To me, #9 and #10 are true to some extent, but are exaggerated in the minds of the committed globalists of Davos.

Finally, I'm on board with #11 and #12; I blame Murphy for 11, Biden and Covid for 12.

----------

Postscript: The DrsC visited Davos (the city, not the conference) several years ago, seeing Switzerland on a rail pass. Meh - we spent a hot night in a "luxury" hotel which had tiny rooms and no air conditioning. 

We weren't impressed with Davos but loved Switzerland's fantastic scenery, great trains, decent food, and amazing tidiness. Stacking firewood precisely and artistically is a Swiss art form and weeds are simply not tolerated, at least in the German-speaking regions. 

It's a country one could be proud to call home. If Disney ran a country, it would look like Switzerland, and be just as expensive.