Monday, June 27, 2022

Thoughts about SCOTUS

The Supreme Court has released its end-of-term decisions and much teeth-gnashing has occurred. I want to share some reactions and this is my forum for doing so.

The most recent three justices to join the Court were quizzed about Roe v. Wade during confirmation hearings. All answered that Roe was established precedent protected by the doctrine of stare decisis

None would answer how they would rule concerning it, but senators chose to believe the candidates considered the matter settled. Obviously, that was not the case. They told the truth, but wisely failed to elaborate.

The nominees answered out of their experience as appellate judges who probably rarely violate stare decisis. Rules for the Supreme Court are different. The lawyers at Power Line indicate stare decisis is important, but does get overturned from time to time. 

----------

The decision about a high school coach praying on-field after a football game appears to have upset some who are concerned the players might feel coerced to join in. Nonsense, I grew up among people who pray. All I ever had to do was tip my head forward and stand or sit quietly until they finished. I showed respect for their faith without ever sharing it. 

I was almost never quizzed about my faith or lack thereof. If something is important to people I otherwise like, I don't knock it, I let it slide. If they make it an issue, I tell the truth which is I don't share their belief.