Thursday, July 8, 2021

Evil Bipartisanship

Writing for the New York Post, Sohrab Ahmari cites the wisdom of former NYC Police Commissioner Bill Bratton while commenting about our national malaise.

At some point, the United States lost the will or desire to care for the most vulnerable. The Reaganite right abdicated the poorest in the name of budget-cutting, the progressive left to vindicate the “autonomy” of the addicted and unwell.

The long-term solution is a recovery of a sane and genuine politics of solidarity, a recognition that some of our fellow citizens need more help, help they may not always accept or appreciate without a degree of humane coercion and, yes, sufficient and smart funding.

I give his wise counsel, with which I agree, the same odds of success I'd give a snowball in hell. I can't count how many times I've written bemoaning the politically motivated death of our mental hospitals.