Sunday, July 11, 2021

Nostalgia

Several businesses in western WY park a restored old car or truck outside their establishment to attract attention. And long time readers may remember I described Afton's nostalgic Red Baron drive-in six years ago. 

The other DrC has at her blog photos of a customized 1952 Chevrolet 2-door hardtop which is parked outside the Red Baron drive-in. It is new this year.

Talk about your trips down memory lane, this is one for me. My first car was a 1950 Chevrolet 2-door hardtop, a shabbier twin of the one pictured minus the customization which, in my late teens, I could not afford. 

To this day I believe that is a nice piece of bodywork, a harmonious design. Mechanically, it wasn't much. An inline 6 cylinder OHV engine moved it along but without much exciting acceleration. Mine at least had a 3 speed standard transmission, the 2 speed Chevy automatics of that era were real slugs. 

The aftermarket side mirrors on the car in her photos remind me that in the early 1950s side mirrors were not standard. You bought them at Pep Boys, installed them yourself and hoped they didn't vibrate.

Later … Apparently this is a way to restore an old car and write off the cost as advertising expense for your business. What fun!