Monday, May 4, 2020

May the 4th Be With You

To COTTonLINE readers who are Star Wars fans, today is the special day each year when we wish each other, “May the 4th be with you.” Sure, it’s corny, so is Star Wars, so what? It was and is great fun nevertheless.

I’m remembering a long ago colleague who was the quintessential dorky college prof, with the classic dorky prof’s wife and a couple of jerky kids. When the first Star Wars film came out (you’ll remember it was no. 4 in the chronology of nine), they went nuts, saw it repeatedly and basically made it their religion-substitute.

He retired several years before I did and moved to Oregon (a perfect choice for dorks) so I lost touch. I wonder if they stayed with Star Wars or lost the magic? As noted above, I found SW fun, but not magic. The original Blade Runner or Dune are more my style, though neither was a born-again experience.

A beginning is a very delicate time. Endings OTOH are brutal, those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.