Monday, January 22, 2024

The CSU Is On Strike

 I am embarrassed to report that the faculty of which I was a member for roughly 30 years is now on strike for high wages, etc. and reportedly will be out of the classroom all week. Pathetic.

I am philosophically opposed to unionization of government employees who are normally well-treated and protected from arbitrary management actions. Plus they almost never face layoffs. 

Apparently the strike will not cause the 23 campuses to close, and I suppose some faculty will cross the picket line. If I were still teaching I would do so. I never joined the CFA.

Later … It is 11 p.m. on the West Coast and the other DrC just sent me an email from the Chancellor’s office in Long Beach stating that the CSU strike is over.  A tentative settlement reached after one day on strike.