Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Second Thoughts

Just over a week ago, in the context of the al-Baghdadi assassination, I wrote:
Hunting down the leaders of violent non-state organizations is a good use of our special forces. Perhaps we should consider having them also decapitate drug cartels south of the border and elsewhere.
Today comes a Politico story about President Trump reacting to the murder of U.S. citizens in a northern Mexico drug cartel crossfire.
This is the time for Mexico, with the help of the United States, to wage WAR on the drug cartels and wipe them off the face of the earth. We merely await a call from your great new president!
Flattering people he wants to influence is classic Trump, and he's not at all subtle either. I find I have second thoughts about the wisdom of an intervention like that Trump advocates.

The U.S. getting involved could make the cartels sympathetic figures to el hombre en la calle. We don't want to transform feared drug criminals into admired freedom fighters, as happened with the Taliban.

Mexicans are leery of U.S. troops on their soil, for historically valid reasons. "Halls of Montezuma" was no joke. I'm sure AMLO shares these feelings and is hesitant to risk involvement. I'd guess he'll decline the offer, with thanks.

Later ... I read somewhere that AMLO did decline exactly as predicted above, sorry I can't find the source.