Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Miscellaneous Thoughts

  • I didn't watch the SOTU speech, masochism isn't my thing and Joe Biden's no treat to watch. Those who earn their living in journalism get paid to take that form of abuse. I do it as a hobby and thus get to pick and choose which parts to track and which to give a hard pass. 
  • Regarding Ukraine, I'm reading that Russian troops are reluctant to massacre Ukrainians. I suppose U.S. troops would feel that way if ordered to invade Canada. A lot of "othering" goes into a willingness to take part in genocide, maybe they didn't get enough anti-Ukraine propaganda or maybe it wasn't doable. 
  • I persist in the belief that a Russian charm offensive would have produced better results in Ukraine than an invasion. Was it even tried? If not, why not?
  • Answering my own question, perhaps because Putin believed Ukraine deserved brutal punishment for not meekly toeing the Russian line.