Friday, April 7, 2023

Travel Blogging I

I write this over the Atlantic at 37,000 ft and roughly 600 mph ground speed, en route to Amsterdam, we are about 7 hours out of Salt Lake City and two hours from the Netherlands. We’re passing south of Keflavik, Iceland, having overflown Labrador after flying close to the southeast corner of Hudson Bay. The carrier is Delta and the food has been quite decent. 

The drive north to SLC yesterday was uneventful, good Interstate 15 all the way. I will say for a Wednesday there was more traffic than I expected. Lots of semis which I expect on an interstate, but lots of cars and pickups, and more than a few RVs. 

After collecting our luggage at Schiphol Airport we will be picked up by agents for Viking who will transport us and our baggage to the ship, one of their “longship” river cruisers. Rumor has it we will be fed lunch and then have the afternoon to use as desired before the ship leaves and heads toward the Rhine. Fun fact: the name of the airport translates as “ship hell” and is so named because it is built on a filled in shallow area where once ships would run aground. 

I can’t post this from the plane, the supposed inflight WiFi isn’t strong enough for much more than scanning headlines. If I try to open an article the system just bogs down. So I will post it Thursday afternoon European time which will be about 5-6 a.m. PDT. 

On the flight I watched an old movie about which people say nice things but I’d somehow missed: 3 Days of the Condor, with Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway, and Cliff Robertson, released in 1975. The high tech isn’t high anymore, and you do notice the reliance on landline phones. The screen writer(s) were obviously deeply cynical about our government. I conclude in spite of these quibbles the film has aged well and doesn’t feel too dated.