Saturday, April 22, 2023

Travel Blogging XV

The trip is over, we are home again, trying to get over our ship colds. We were never feverish and had no digestive upsets, just the runny nose and cough routine, with low grade malaise. 

❀ About our flight back, the other DrC has an excellent description of our business class seats you might enjoy. I didn’t recline the seat as much as she and didn’t sleep on either flight as I binge watched movies in between quite acceptable meals, snugly wrapped in a provided comforter.

This flight I saw Atomic Blonde, with the hard-edged glamor of Charlize Theron winning martial arts fights with various evil guys. For a change of pace I followed this with the original Downton Abbey film, which appeals to my Anglophile nature. Then I wrapped it up rewatching the last Indy film, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. My bias is toward action films, but I obviously make exceptions.

❀ I calculate Friday, April 21, lasted roughly 32 hours of experienced time for the DrsC as we slept for 2.5 hours, got up and flew from Budapest to Paris, changed planes and flew from Paris to Salt Lake City where we arrived in early afternoon and finally went to sleep around 6 p.m. MDT. At that point Friday, April 21, still had perhaps six hours to run.

❀ The other DrC has a formula she uses to calculate how long it will take to get over jet lag. You count the first three time zones crossed as 1 day, then add another day for each additional crossed time zone beyond 3. I think it means we’ll need close to a week. I often experience jet lag as resembling a mild hangover, as I remember them from my undergrad days at San Jose State. It was then a party school, so they weren’t always mild.

❀ The shared drive south from SLC to our desert edge part of Nevada was an easy 5± hours. Still plenty of snow on the mountains in UT, none near I-15 which has an 80 mph speed limit for most of it’s non-urban length in UT. Such long, fast drives make an electric auto impractical for us.

❀ As we left UT and transited the little northwest corner of AZ the desert wildflowers were in full bloom in the canyon of the Virgin River which the highway descends, lots of orangey-pink that the other DrC labeled “salmon” and a bunch of yellows too. By the time we left the canyon the flowers were nearly gone. We’re lower and hence warmer, so ours likely bloomed last week.

❀ Thus ends the record of our first overseas trip since Covid put a damper on travel way back when. Not sure when or if there will be more.