Tuesday, July 25, 2023

GOP Debates Relevant?

Writing at AMAC, Aaron Flanagan asks whether the Republican debates are relevant if Trump doesn't participate? He concludes they are not. I disagree, they may even work better in his absence.

The debates' substantial relevance in the absence of Trump is to winnow at too-large field down to one or two alternatives to Trump. If you sum up the percentages the other would-be candidates are polling, that number is far from trivial. It may even be a majority in some polls.

Once the winnowing is done, whoever remains will be in a head-to-head competition with Trump. Committed Republicans can decide which of the two they like better and who has the better chance of defeating Joe Biden. These would normally be the same person, but may not be in all cases.

If I had to decide now there are some I would choose over Trump and others I would not prefer. The debates will help me refine my choice.

Afterthought: Trump may not like FL Gov. DeSantis, but he hasn't moved his residence from FL to Bedminster NJ where he also has a golf resort. Imagine how much he saves in by being domiciled in no-state-income-tax FL.