Wednesday, February 28, 2024

McConnell to Relinquish Leadership

The Daily Mail reports Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, 82, will step down from the leadership in November, while continuing to serve as a senator. He has been the "longest serving senate leader in American history."

I endorse the judgment of his Republican peers that his service has been in the nation's interest. The Supreme Court's conservative majority can be laid at his doorstep, no small accomplishment.

Father time remains undefeated. I am no longer the young man sitting in the back, hoping colleagues will remember my name. It is time for the next generation of leadership.

Fare thee well, Senator. live long and prosper.

Later ... Power Line identifies Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY) as one of those who might succeed McConnell as leader of the Senate's Republicans and also, for now, majority leader. I wouldn't mind my home state guy being leader.