Thursday, February 17, 2022

When Friends Fight

Regular COTTonLINE readers know I follow the bloggers at Power Line and often, but not always, enjoy their viewpoints and their access to behind-paywall material I’m too cheap to pay for. Now two of the four fellows who post there - Steven Hayward and Paul Mirengoff - are angry with each other.

Apparently Mirengoff taking a dim view of someone Hayward really thinks is great was the camel’s-back-breaking issue, as seen in posts here and here. I guess commenters to the site are taking sides, I won’t do that here (or there). 

I have found contributions by both Hayward and Mirengoff useful on many occasions, and I agree with neither 100% of the time. I don’t share Mirengoff’s interest in soccer or baseball and unlike Hayward I have never tasted a whiskey I like. I’d hope that both can agree to disagree and keep doing their own things as before. 

The essence of the First Amendment is that people with whom we don’t agree nevertheless have a right to have their say. I’d estimate the two agree on most political issues but find those few points of disagreement very irritating. Since they live roughly 3000 miles apart, it shouldn’t be too difficult to operate in parallel without interacting.

BTW, my title for this post is an exaggeration, I am personally acquainted with none of the four but feel I somewhat know them having read their thoughts more or less daily for years.