Tuesday, July 9, 2024

The Veep Stakes

Not that my opinion is particularly important to anyone but me, but perhaps you've been curious who I hoped Donald Trump would select as his VP running mate. It turns out John Hinderaker of Power Line has written very nearly what I would have, but he beat me to it.

Hinderaker sees the finalists as Doug Burgum, J. D. Vance, and Marco Rubio. Of the three he prefers Rubio who he describes him as "a genuinely good guy, something that can’t be taken for granted in Washington."

His second choice is Burgum, who he says "exudes a stability and normality that would, in terms of personality, lend some balance to the GOP ticket." I concur.

Of the three, his least favorite is Vance, of whose changing views Hinderaker writes "I would prefer that they fully evolve before being next door to the Oval Office. 

To the above, I'd add something I saw raised by a member of Bret Baier's panel tonight. The notion that Trump might pick someone who hasn't been mentioned at all, just for the splash it would create.